National Cold Chain Grid Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries (FPI) has sanctioned 101 new integrated cold chain projects across the country.
These projects will leverage a total investment of Rs. 3,100 crore for creation of modern infrastructure for the food processing sector.
- Of the 101 new projects –53 projects are for fruits and vegetables, dairy (33) and remaining are fish, meat, marine, poultry, ready-to-eat/ready-to-cook sectors.
- Maharashtra as cornered the maximum number (21) of the projects followed by Uttar Pradesh (14), Gujarat (12), Andhra Pradesh (8) and Punjab and Madhya Pradesh (6 each).
- These projects will benefit around 4.7 million tonnes of agri and horticulture produce with a value of up to Rs. 12,000 crore and help to reduce wastage by 13%.
- They will create additional capacity of 2.76 lakh MT of cold storage/controlled atmosphere storage. It will also benefit 2.6 lakh farmers and provide employment to 60,000 people.
- The projects are aimed at doubling farmers’ income, reducing wastage in the agri-supply chain and creating huge employment opportunities.
Need for Cold chain grid
- India is one of the largest food producers in the world and the second largest producer of fruits and vegetables yet only 2.2% of our fruits and vegetables are processed.
- According to CIPHET (Central Institute of Post-Harvest Engineering and Technology) study, total wastage of fruits and vegetables in India was pegged at Rs. 92,000 crore on the basis of the wholesale prices of 2014.
- Existing cold storages are concentrated in a few States and roughly 80% to 90% are used for potatoes
- The National Cold Chain Grid in the country will connect food producing hubs to cold storage and processing industries. It will further aid to double farmers’ income and create huge job opportunities.