National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog Current Affairs - 2020
Economist Bibek Debroy has taken over as the full-time member of National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog.
- He has been working as a professor at the Centre for Policy Research in New Delhi.
- Previously he has worked as Director of the Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies and as a Consultant in Finance Ministry in various capacities.
- He was also the Chairman of High Powered Committee of the restructuring on Railways.
- He has been associated with a number of prestigious institutes in the field of academics. It includes Presidency College Kolkata Delhi School of Economics Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, the National Council of Applied Economic Research, Trinity College, Cambridge, and institute for South Asian Studies , Singapore.
- He has authored several books, papers and articles on Economic issues. He also has authored a ten-volume unabridged English translation of the Hindu epic the Mahabharata.
Earlier on 5 January 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had appointed Bibek Debroy along with Scientist V K Saraswat as full time member of NITI Aayog.
Tags: Bibek Debroy • Current Affairs 2016 • Narendra Modi • National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog
Eminent free-market economist Arvind Panagariya has been appointed as Vice-chairman of National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog.
NITI Aayog is established by government to function as both a think tank and a policy forum and replaces decades year old Planning Commission.
As a vice chairman, he will play a pivotal role in coordinating economic strategy and hold position similar to cabinet rank minister.
About Arvind Panagariya
- He is an Indian-American economist and Professor of Economics at Columbia University. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Economics from prestigious Princeton University.
- He was an ex-Chief Economist at the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- He has also worked for the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, World Trade Organization, and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) in various capacities.
- He has written around 10 books and the latest was India: The Emerging Giant published in 2008.
Other Appointments of NITI Aayog
- Bibek Debroy- Economist.
- V.K. Saraswat- Former Secretary Defence R&D.
- Rajnath Singh- Union Home Minister.
- Arun Jaitley- Union Finance, Corporate Affairs and Information & Broadcasting Minister.
- Suresh Prabhu- Union Minister of Railways.
- Radha Mohan Singh- Union Minister of Agriculture.
- Nitin Gadkari- Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping.
- Thawar Chand Gehlot-Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Smriti Zubin Irani- Union Minister of Human Resource Development (HRD).