Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the National Rurban Mission (NRM) from Kurubhat in Rajnandgaon district of Chhattisgarh.
The mission also dubbed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rurban mission (SPMRM) aims to spur social, economic and infrastructure development in rural areas by developing a cluster of 300 Smart Villages over the next 3 years across the country.
Key features of National Rurban Mission(NRM)
- NRM through development of rurban growth clusters aims at catalyzing overall regional growth for simultaneously benefiting the rural as well as urban areas of the country.
- Twin objectives: (i) Strengthening of rural areas and de-burdening the urban areas. (ii) Balanced regional development and growth of the country by simultaneously benefiting the rural as well as urban areas of the country.
- Envisages institutional arrangements both at the State and Centre in order to ensure smooth implementation of the Mission.
- The State Governments would identify the clusters which have latent potential for growth in accordance with the Framework for Implementation prepared by the Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- States government will prepare Integrated Cluster Action Plans for Rurban Clusters. It will be comprehensive plan documents detailing out the strategy for the cluster development.
- The clusters will be geographically contiguous Gram Panchayats with different population and follow administrative convergence units of Gram Panchayats.
- Population Constrains: Coastal and plain areas must have population of about 25000 to 50000. Hilly, desert or tribal areas must have 5000 to 15000.
- There will be a separate approach for selection of clusters in Tribal and Non-Tribal Districts.
- Fourteen components: Optimum level of development components include (a) Skill development training (b)Agro Processing/Agri Storage/ Services and Warehousing (c) Sanitation (d) Digital Literacy (e) Solid and liquid waste management (f) Provision of piped water supply (g) Village streets and drains (h) Street lights (i) Upgrading school/higher education facilities (j) fully equipped mobile health unit (k) Service Centres for electronic delivery of citizen centric services/e-gram connectivity (l) Public transport (m) Inter-village road connectivity (n) LPG gas connections.