National Security Guard Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
ITBP Director General S S Deswal was given additional charge of counter-terror force National Security Guard (NSG). He will take over from incumbent NSG DG Sudeep Lakhtakia who is set to retire on 31st July 2018.S S Deswal is 1984-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Telangana cadre.
About National Security Guard (NSG)
- It was established in 1984, to protect states against internal disturbances and terrorism. It is under administrative control of Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- It is Federal Contingency World Class Zero Error Force. It deals with anti-terrorist activities in all its forms.
- It is not categorised under Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) and has Special Forces mandate. Its core operational capability is provided by Special Action Group (SAG) which is drawn from Indian Army. The post NSG DG is occupied by an IPS officer.
- Functions: It is trained to conduct counter terrorist operations including bomb disposal, counter hijacking tasks on land/sea/air as well as Post Blast Investigation (PBI) and Hostage Rescue missions. It is intended for use only in exceptional situations and do not take over functions of other Para Military Forces or State Police Forces. Its police component Special Rangers Group (SRG) is mandated to handle VIP security and is composed of personnel on deputation from other CAPF.
- Why Black Cats? NSG personnel also called Black Cats due to their black dress and black cat insignia worn by them on their uniform.
- Achievement: 26/11, Operation Black Tornado , Operation Ashwamedh, akshardham attack.
Tags: appointments • Director General • ITBP • National Security Guard • Persons in News
Senior IPS officer Sudeep Lakhtakia took charge as the new Director General of National Security Guard (NSG). He succeeds S P Singh who retired from the post and will hold post till July 2019.
Sudeep Lakhtakia is 1984-batch IPS officer of the Telangana cadre. Prior to this post, he was serving as a Special Director General in the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) headquarters in New Delhi.
National Security Guard (NSG)
NSG is a Federal Contingency Deployment Force under Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). It was raised in 1984, with a view to protect states against internal disturbances and terrorism. It is not categorised under uniform nomenclature of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF).
It has special forces mandate and its core operational capability is provided by Special Action Group (SAG) drawn from Indian Army. NSG personnel are often referred as Black Cats because of black dress and black cat insignia worn on their uniform.
The NSG is trained to conduct counter terrorist task to including counter hijacking tasks on land, sea, and air, Bomb disposal and Post Blast Investigation (PBI) and Hostage Rescue missions. It is intended for use only in exceptional situations and not meant to take over functions of State Police Forces or other Para Military Forces.
Tags: appointments • National Security Guard • Persons in News • Sudeep Lakhtakia