National Technology Day is being observed across India on May 11 to glorify the importance of science in day-to-day life and motivate students to adopt science as a career option.
2016 Theme: ‘Technology enablers of Startup India’.
Several events are organized in various engineering colleges and technical institutes to mark the occasion.
Significance of the day
- The day is being commemorated to celebrate the anniversary of first of the five tests of Operation Shakti (Pokhran-II) nuclear test, held on 11 May 1998 in Pokhran, Rajasthan.
- Apart from Pokhran nuclear test, on this day first indigenous aircraft Hansa-3 was test flown at Bangalore.
- India also conducted successful test firing of the Trishul missile on the same day.
- Considering all these technical achievements, 11 May was chosen to be commemorated as National Technology Day.
- To commemorate this day, Technology Development Board (TDB) has instituted a National Award.
- This award is conferred on to various individuals and industries by the President for their successful achievement in commercialization of Indigenous Technology.