NCT Delhi Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Dr. Harsh Vardhan has released Seismic Microzonation reports for Delhi and Kolkata.
These reports highlight vulnerability of specific areas in these megacities and help in minimizing the effects of earthquakes by (i) Proper assessment of Seismic Hazard (ii) Implementation of safe building construction codes (iii) adopting appropriate land-use planning.
Seismic Microzonation Report for National Capital Territory (NCT) Delhi was prepared by the Earthquake Risk Evaluation Centre (EREC). It was under the IMD and now has been merged with National Centre for Seismology of the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
The seismic microzonation project of Kolkata was undertaken by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur in consortium with a few other organizations under the aegis of the Geosciences Division of the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
Benefits of seismic microzonation
- Disaster Mitigation and Management Authorities.
- Risk Assessment to existing life & Property especially of Defence Installations, Heavy Industry and Public Utilities and Services.
- Help Urban Development Authorities and also Planning, Design & Construction Agencies.
Seismic zoning map of India
- Earlier a seismic zoning map for entire India was prepared and published by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
- It had classified the entire country into 4 major groups viz. Zone-V (High intensity), Zone – III (moderate seismic zone), Zone- IV (high seismic zone) and Zone-II (Low intensity).
- These zones encompass wider area for which specific design spectra is commonly used, despite geo-morphological and geological variability within the respective zone.
- NCT Delhi was placed in the Seismic zone IV group, whereas Kolkata was placed at the border of Seismic Zone IV and III.