New Organ Current Affairs
Scientists have discovered new organ in human body and have named it as ‘interstitium’. It will be the 80th organ in the human body. It might be might be also the biggest organ in human body
It was discovered while doctors were investigating patient’s bile duct, searching for signs of cancer. They had noticed cavities of this organ that did not match any previously known human anatomy.
The discovery of interstitium will help to explain how cancer spreads in body and pave way for new ways to detect and treat the disease.
The new organ is network of interconnected, fluid-filled spaces all over the body. It is found everywhere in human bodies, acting as shock absorber in all places where tissues are moved or subjected to force. It is made up of both flexible (elastin) and strong (collagen) connective tissue proteins, with interstitial fluid moving throughout. It lies beneath top layer of skin, but is also in tissue layers lining gut, lungs, blood vessels, and muscles. The organ acts like shock absorber in all places where tissues are moved or subjected to force to protect them from damage.
Functions: The new organ’s interstitial spaces are organized by collagen mesh which allows it to shrink, expand making it as shock absorbers. It also acts as fluid ‘highway’ i.e. thoroughfares to transport critical fluids within organs and around body. It also plays important role in carrying lymph, a fluid that supports immunity and also travels through lymphatic vessels.
Scientists from Ireland have claimed discovery of a new human organ named the mesentery that exists in the digestive system. It will be human body’s 79th organ.
Mesentery connects the intestine to the abdomen. The organ was previously thought to consist of fragmented and disparate structures.
- Mesentery is a fold of the peritoneum which attaches the stomach, small intestine, pancreas, spleen,and other organs to the posterior wall of the abdomen.
- Its discovery will help in better understanding and further scientific study of the mesentery which could lead to less invasive surgeries, fewer complications, faster patient recovery and lower overall costs.
- The reclassification of this organ will also aid better understanding and treatment of abdominal and digestive diseases.
- During the initial research, researchers found that the mesentery was one continuous organ. Previously, it was considered as the fragmented structure made up of multiple separate parts.
- It was found that mesentery has simply one continuous structure. However, its function is still poorly understood.
- Following the discovery the world’s best-known series of medical textbooks, Gray’s Anatomy was updated to include the new definition of this organ.