New York Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
A Painting by Claude Monet’s titled ‘Mueles’ sold for a record-breaking price of $110.7 million at Sotheby’s auction in New York.
- History: The French painter Claude Monet’s painting titled “Meules” was made in 1890. The painting auctioned is among one of 25 “Meules” (which means “Grainstacks”) and it was created by painter in year 1890 and 1891. The significance of this painting is that it was the first instance when painter went back to same subject while differing on atmospheric conditions.
- Record: By fetching $110.7 million painting created a world auction record for the artist (Monet’s) as well as became first work of an Impressionist Art to cross over $100 million threshold at an auction.
- It now becomes the 9th most expensive painting to have ever been sold at an international auction house.
- There were six bidders who participated in process but painting was eventually sold to an unidentified buyer.
- Artwork Present: It is also one of the total eight artworks by the Claude Monet that was not available in museums and was acquired by private hands. The rest of his paintings are in Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York in US, Musée d’Orsay, Paris in France and Art Institute of Chicago.
Haystack is common English title for a series of Claude Monet’s impressionist paintings. The principal behind subject of each painting in this series is ‘stacks of harvested wheat’.
Tags: Art Institute of Chicago • Claude Monet • French Painter • Metropolitan Museum of Art • Meules
StartupBlink has ranked 100 countries for startup environment of countries globally. The rankings were based on the data from over 61,000 startups, more than 500 accelerators, and over 1,400 coworking spaces registered on its platform along with data gathered from its global partners including Crunchbase, SimilarWeb etc.
The rankings were based on the impact startups have been able to make in the country, how many startups and support organisations are there such as accelerators, coworking spaces, startup events along with technology infrastructure, red tape, bureaucracy, etc.
Findings of the Report
- The US, the UK, Canada, Israel, and Australia have been ranked in top5 in the rankings.
- India was ranked 17th in the rankings and has climbed 20 spots (rank 37) from the previous ranking.
- China was ranked 27th.
- Estonia (13), Ireland (14), and Germany (9) were ranked ahead of India for their startup ecosystems.
- The challenge before India is to improve the overall quality of startups and increase the number of unicorns than currently exist.
In the ranking of cities, Bengaluru stood at 11, New Delhi at 18 and Mumbai at 29. San Francisco Bay, New York, London, Los Angeles, and Boston topped the ranking among the cities.