Novelist Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Renowned British Novelist Peter Dickinson passed away in Winchester, Hampshire. He was 88. He was a prolific novelist best known for children’s books and detective stories.
He was the first author to receive twice the prestigious Carnegie medal in 1979 and 19080 awarded annually by librarians for the outstanding new children’s book in Britain.
About Peter Dickinson
- Peter Dickinson was born on 16 December 1927 in Livingstone, Northern Rhodesia (Now Zambia).
- Writing Career: In his entire career, he had written around 60 books which have been translated into 53 different languages.
- His debut novel for children The Weathermonger was published in 1968 of Changes trilogy and was followed by Heartsease (1969) and The Devil’s Children (1970). His last novel In The Palace Of The Khans was published in 2012.
- Awards and Honours: He was the first and only author till date to win the Crime Writers’ Association Gold Dagger award for two consecutive novels Skin Deep (1968) and A Pride Of (Heroes 1969). His two novels Tulku (1979) and City of Gold (1980) had won the Carnegie Medal.
Acclaimed Egyptian novelist and journalist Gamal al-Ghitani passed away in Cairo, Egypt. He was 70.
He was one of the greatest Egyptian authors of historical and political novels and cultural and political commentaries.
About Gamal al-Ghitani
- Ghitani was born on 9 May 1945 in Gihena, Egypt.
- He had started his writing career at a very young age and his first short story was published when he was only 14.
- Though he was trained as a carpet designer, he switched to journalism in his 20s and went on to write historical fiction.
- Much of his work has been widely translated in different languages, including his famous novel Zayni Barakat published in 1974 is considered a seminal portrayal of authoritarian rule.
- Awards: He was awarded Egyptian National Prize for Literature (1980), French Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (1987), Sheikh Zayed Book Award for Ren (2009) etc.