The Union Finance Ministry has announced that non-resident Indians (NRIs) can now open National Pension Savings (NPS) accounts online i.e. through eNPS if they have Aadhaar Card or Permanent Account Number (PAN) card.
Earlier, NRIs could open NPS accounts only through paper based applications by approaching Bank offices. NPS is being regulated by the PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority), a regulator established by the Finance Ministry.
- Through eNPS, NRI’s will be able to open NPS accounts both on repatriable and on non-repatriable basis. The NPS funds would be deposited only in their NRO accounts
- On a repatriable basis, NRIs will have to remit the amount through his/her NRE/NRO/FCNR account.
- On a non-repatriable, NRIs will be able to join NPS through their NRE/FCNR/NRO accounts at the time of maturity or during partial withdrawal.
- This move will greatly appeal to NRIs who intend to return to India after their employment abroad, in view of their attractive returns, low cost and flexibility.
- India has the second-largest diaspora in the world, with around 29 million people living in over 200 countries and out of them 25% live in the Gulf countries.