NRLM Current Affairs - 2020
On May 4, 2020, the Union Ministry of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj launched the “The Saras Collection” on the GeM (Government E Marketplace) platform. The Saras Collection aims to promote daily utilities made by self-help groups.
The initiative is a joint effort of the Ministry of rural development, GeM and Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM). Under the initiative, the SHGs (Self Help Groups) will list their products in 5 different categories namely office accessories, handicrafts, handloom and textiles, grocery and pantry and personal care and hygiene.
During the first phase, around 913 SHGs were registered and 442 products were added. The SHGs were from 11 different states. The 11 states include Maharashtra, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Jharkhand, Himachal Pradesh. Kerala, Rajasthan, Odisha, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh.
The GeM under the initiative has provided a dashboard at national, state, district and block level in order to provide real time information about the products that are being uploaded by the SHGs.
The GeM is a government owned portal that was set up as National Public Procurement Portal in order to procure goods and services that are required by the central and state governments. The platform helps to reduce human intervention.
Tags: DAY-NRLM • e-commerce • GeM • NRLM • Rural Development
The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is organising a fortnight of events named Shehri Samridhi Utsav all over the country with an aim to extend the outreach of Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) to the poorest of poor and the most vulnerable.
Dayal Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana
Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana (DAY) aims to uplift the poor folks by enhancing sustainable livelihood opportunities through skill development. Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana integrates:
- National Urban Livelihoods Mission(NULM): It is the urban component of the mission and is being implemented by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation.
- National Rural Livelihoods Mission(NRLM): It is the rural component of the mission and is being implemented by the Ministry of Rural Development.
Implementation of (DAY-NULM)
The DAY-NULM has taken following initiatives during the tenure of present government:
- 34 lakh urban poor women were organised into self-help groups.
- Subsidised loans have been provided to over 8.5 lakh individuals and
- Over 8.9 lakh candidates have been skill trained and certified and over 4.6 lakh have been placed.
- 16 lakh street vendors have been identified through a survey and half of them have been given identity cards.
- More than 1,000 permanent shelters have been set up, creating space for more than 60,000 urban homeless
Other Initiatives announced
The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has also announced the following new initiatives
Safety net survey
For identify eligible SHG members who are not covered by government programmes.
Shehri Sahabhagita Manch
For regular meetings of the officials of urban local bodies with SHG federations for easy resolution of local issues and identifying gaps in extending basic services in urban poor settlements.