nuclear Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The India Energy Forum organized the 11th Nuclear Energy Conclave in New Delhi. The theme of the event was “Economics of Nuclear Power-Innovation towards safer and cost-effective technologies”. It was inaugurated by the Union Minister of State for development of North Eastern Region, Minister of State Atomic Energy and Space, Prime Minister’s Office and Personnel, public grievances and pensions.
- A nuclear power plant is to be constructed in Gorakhpur, Haryana
- The DAE (Department of Atomic Energy) is working along with TATA Memorial Centre towards the implementation of flagship programmes of the Government. The priority is given to shifting towards cashless transactions.
- The event organized three technical sessions on the following themes
- Use of Nuclear Energy in Health care and Municipal Waste Treatment
- Growth of Nuclear Power for meeting base load demands-Opportunities and Challenges in manufacturing industry
- Emerging Technologies for Economy and Enhanced safety; Molten salt reactors, passive safety features, small and medium size reactors.
- A hall of Nuclear Energy was opened at the Pragati Maidan in Delhi. The aim is to use the hall in the process of educating students and the public about the applications of nuclear energy.
Tags: nuclear • Nuclear Energy • nuclear energy conclave • Nuclear energy in India • nuclear power plant
Iran announced it will continue with its low-level uranium enrichment in line with its nuclear deal with world powers. This move comes when on 3 May 2019, US forced Iran to stop producing low-enriched uranium and halt expanding its only nuclear power plant, thus intensifying campaign aimed at stopping Tehran’s ballistic missile programme and curbing its regional power.
Move taken by US against Iran
- US efforts to impose political and economic isolation on Tehran began in 2018 when US President Trump unilaterally withdrew from nuclear deal which US and other world powers negotiated with Iran in 2015.
- US also scrapped its sanctions waiver under 2015 nuclear deal which until now allowed Iran to ship low enriched uranium produced at its Natanz facility, to Russia before it hit 300 kg limit and can even evade 300 kg limit on amount of low-enriched uranium it can store.
- In recent move US announced discontinuing waivers and sanctions for countries (even India) buying oil from Iranian oil. It is an attempt to reduce Iran’s oil exports to zero.
- It also blacklisted Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard Corps as terrorist Organization.
Arguments by Iran
- As per (nuclear accord) Iran can produce heavy water (which is employed in reactors to produce plutonium, a fuel used in nuclear warheads), as this does not violate agreement so Iran will carry on with enrichment activity.
- Its low-enriched uranium production helps Iran produce electricity.
- Iran called for talks with its other partners in nuclear deal and UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to approve that Iran can enrich fuel to 20 percent and higher.
- It is trying to counter US sanctions by continuing to export its oil at the same time boosting its non-oil exports.
- In a move to increase its hard currency income and cut down currency expenditures, Iran will increase production and raise non-oil exports.
IAEA: International Atomic Energy Agency
- It was established in 1957as an autonomous organization with headquarters Vienna. It’s objective is to promote peaceful use of nuclear energy, and prevent its use for any military purpose, including production of nuclear weapons.
- Although it is independent of UN but it reports to both United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) and to UN Security Council (UNSC).
- It won Nobel Peace Prize in 2005.