NULM Current Affairs - 2020
The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is organising a fortnight of events named Shehri Samridhi Utsav all over the country with an aim to extend the outreach of Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) to the poorest of poor and the most vulnerable.
Dayal Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana
Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana (DAY) aims to uplift the poor folks by enhancing sustainable livelihood opportunities through skill development. Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana integrates:
- National Urban Livelihoods Mission(NULM): It is the urban component of the mission and is being implemented by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation.
- National Rural Livelihoods Mission(NRLM): It is the rural component of the mission and is being implemented by the Ministry of Rural Development.
Implementation of (DAY-NULM)
The DAY-NULM has taken following initiatives during the tenure of present government:
- 34 lakh urban poor women were organised into self-help groups.
- Subsidised loans have been provided to over 8.5 lakh individuals and
- Over 8.9 lakh candidates have been skill trained and certified and over 4.6 lakh have been placed.
- 16 lakh street vendors have been identified through a survey and half of them have been given identity cards.
- More than 1,000 permanent shelters have been set up, creating space for more than 60,000 urban homeless
Other Initiatives announced
The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has also announced the following new initiatives
Safety net survey
For identify eligible SHG members who are not covered by government programmes.
Shehri Sahabhagita Manch
For regular meetings of the officials of urban local bodies with SHG federations for easy resolution of local issues and identifying gaps in extending basic services in urban poor settlements.