OCI Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Government has decided to allow Aadhaar enrollment of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCIs) and Non-Resident Indians (NRIs).
It was announced by Union Planning Minister Rao Inderjit Singh in written reply to Lok Sabha.
This move will help all persons on the Indian soil (including resident Indian, OCI/PIO, NRIs and visa holding visitors) to authenticate their identity digitally.
In this regard Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is working on the policy for Aadhaar enrolment of NRIs, PIOs and OICs as per directions from the government. However, no time frame has been formulated at this stage for achieving the goal.
Presently, UIDAI is providing Aadhaar number all residents including Indian national and foreigners with valid visas who are enrolling for it.
About Aadhaar number
- Union Government had established UIDAI in January 2009 to issue Aadhaar numbers to all citizens which can be verified digitally using the database.
- Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identity number which helps enrolled persons in availing various services and benefits provided by the government.
- It is considered the world’s largest national identification number project.
- It is also valid as know your customers (KYC) document for various services including banking, cooking gas subsidy, government scholarships, telecom, vehicle registration and driving licence, public distribution system and pension.
- It should be noted that UIDAI was earlier attached to Planning Commission of India and now it is attached to the NITI Aayog. So far it has allotted around 89.43 Aadhaar numbers to Indian citizens.