Odisha Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India has successfully flight tested Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LRSAM) from a warship off Odisha coast. The LRSAM successfully destroyed a low flying aerial target. This paves way for its deployment in the armed forces.
Features of the LRSAM
The important features of the LRSAM are:
- LRSAM has been jointly developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), India and M/s Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) for the Indian Navy.
- The LRSAM was test fired in operational configuration on board INS Chennai positioned in the Arabian Sea.
- The missile was first tested from INS Kolkata on western seaboard in 2015. It had achieved all objectives.
- LRSAM has an operational range of 75 km and it can destroy airborne threats like jets, aircraft, anti-ship missiles, unmanned aerial vehicles and rockets including projectiles launched simultaneously.
- The LRSAM has a length of about 4.5 meters, a diameter of 0.54 metre, a wingspan of 0.94 meters and weighs around 275 kg including a 60 kg warhead which detonates at proximity.
LRSAM would be inducted in both Army and Navy after completion of its developmental trials.
The Governor of Tamil Nadu Banwarilal Purohit presented the Sansad Ratna Awards in Chennai. The recipients under various categories include:
- MP from Cuttack, Odisha, Bhartruhari Mahtab was honoured for his performance in initiating debates.
- MP from Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, Anurag Singh Thakur received Jury Committee Special award in the Lok Sabha for his distinguished performance.
- Standing committee on finance headed by M Veerappa Moily was selected for outstanding performance among the Parliamentary Standing Committees.
- MP from Kollam, Kerala, N K Premachandran, was selected for his performance in initiating debates.
- MP from Baramati (Maharashtra) Supriya Sule was honoured in overall tally, questions and women MPs categories.
- MP from Godda, Jharkhand, Nishikant Dubey was awarded for his outstanding performance in private member bills.
- MP, Rajeev Shankarrrao Satav was chosen for his outstanding performance among the first-time parliamentarians.
- MP from Maval, Maharashtra, Shrirang Appa Barne was selected for his outstanding performance.
- MP from Kolhapur, Dhananjay Bhimrao Mahadik was selected for his performance under questions and overall tally category.
- Heena Vijaykumar Gavit who raised 1,059 questions in the Lok Sabha and holds an attendance of 82 per cent was selected for her outstanding performance.
- Rajani Patil was selected as the topper in overall tally among the retirees of Rajya Sabha.
- Ananda Bhaskar Rapolu, MP from Telangana was selected for debates among the retirees of the upper House.
Sansad Ratna Award
Sansad Ratna Award (“Gem of Parliament”) was established in 2010 by the Prime Point Foundation and e-magazine PreSense to honour “top performing” Members of the Indian Parliament, based on the suggestions given by Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Former President of India.
The awards are given on behalf of “civil society” through a transparent selection process by a Jury committee of eminent Parliamentarians, based on the data on various performance parameters.