Odisha Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Host India made most of home’ advantage and grabbed all 7 gold medals in 21st Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships 2019 which concluded at Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium in Cuttack, Odisha.
Winners of 21st Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships:
Indian paddlers topped medals tally with 7 gold, 5 silver and 3 bronze.
Men Singles: Harmeet Desai. He defeated favourite G. Sathiyan 4-3 in a hard-fought final to claim the men’s singles title.
Women Singles: Ayhika Mukherjee. This is her maiden gold in the championships. She thrashed former national champion Madurika Patkar 4-0.
Men Doubles: Anthony Amalraj & Manav Thakkar. The duo claimed Men’s doubles gold by stunning top seeds Sathiyan and Sharath Kamal 3-1.
Women Doubles: Pooja Sahasrabudhe & Krittwika Sinha Roy. The duo defeated compatriots Sreeja Akula and Mousumi Paul 3-1 to claim doubles crown.
England won 2 silver and 3 bronze medals.
Singapore got 6 bronze medals.
Malaysia and Nigeria got 1 bronze each.
Tags: Ayhika Mukherjee • Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships 2019 • Harmeet Desa • Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium • Odisha
India’s only orangutan named Binny died at the age of 41 in Nandankanan Zoological Park in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- About: The Nandankanan Zoological Park (NZP) has lost one of its beloved members the 41-year-old orangutan ‘Bini’, an extant species of great apes.
- Background: The lone female orangutan Binny, was brought to Nandankanan Zoo from Pune’s Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park on 20 November 2003, when she was 25 years old. Since her arrival she has been alone in her zoo enclosure and zoo officials failed to arrange a male partner for her.
- Reason: According to NZP, ‘Binny’ died due to age-related complications. He also suffered from respiratory tract infection. Tissue samples were collected and postmortem is scheduled, for further investigation to correlate exact cause of death.
- Care: She was taken out of the enclosure a year ago. The orangutan was under treatment for a year by experts from College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, OUAT. Even the orangutan’s experts from United Kingdom (UK) and Singapore were also giving constant advice.
- The word “orangutan” actually means “person of forest”.
- They are one of the world’s three extant species of great apes.
- Orangutans are native to Indonesia and Malaysia and are currently found only in rain forests of Borneo and Sumatra.
- They are considered to be among most intelligent primates. An orangutan can live up to 45 years in the wild and even more in zoos.
- They have been extensively studied by researchers for their learning abilities.
- They use a variety of sophisticated tools and even construct elaborate sleeping nests from branches and foliage.