Odisha Current Affairs - 2020
Are you preparing for OPSC Exams?
You must try GKToday’s 1100+ Quality MCQs Series for Odisha. This series has 1100+ Multiple Choice Questions divided into 33 Chapters and 20 Mixed Revision Tests with each question explained. This course is available for android devices on GKToday’s Academy Android App
The Central government has set a target of providing clean drinking water to all by 2024. It includes increasing coverage of piped water to households from current 18 to 100% by 2024.
Water Status in India
- Over the years per capita availability of water has fallen drastically. From 5,000 litre per capita availability of water in 1950 we now only have nearly 1,400 litre per capita availability of water. Thus even though the population has increased three times since 1950, per capita availability of water has reduced considerably and is about one-third (33%) of that amount now.
- In states like Uttar Pradesh (UP), Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha and West Bengal (WB) the coverage of clean drinking water is less than 5%. It is only in Sikkim that 99% of households get tapped water.
About the Clean Drinking Water to All 2024
- Need: With almost all of rural India depending on monsoon for agricultural and domestic purposes, there is a desperate need for viable water management and conservation so as to end the water woes in the country.
- Citing the widening gap between water supply and demand, newly constituted Jal Ministry notified that apart from increasing coverage of piped water to households’ emphasis will also be laid on water conservation.
- Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Union Minister of Jal Shakti recently held discussions with officials and Ministers from several states looking after water-related issues.
- Way Forward: As per the 7th Schedule of Indian Constitution, Water is a State Subject under Entry 17 in State List, thus collective efforts and a public movement is needed to achieve the desired target.
About Jal Ministry
- It has been newly created in the second term of the Modi government. It has been made by reorganising Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, which was held by Nitin Gadkari in previous Modi government (2014-2019). The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has also been added to it Jal Ministry.
- This Ministry will cater to many aspects relating to water such ensuring clean water and top class irrigation water facilities for farmers.
Tags: 7th Schedule of Indian Constitution • Clean Drinking Water to All 2024 • Gajendra Singh Shekhawat • Jal Ministry • Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
The Anti-ship version of supersonic cruise missile BrahMos was test fired from the launch complex-3 of Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha.
About BrahMos Missile
- The name BrahMos is formed from names of two rivers i.e. Indian river Brahmaputra and the Moskva River of Russia.
- Manufacturer: The missile is manufactured at BrahMos Aerospace Limited which is a joint venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM).
- Strategic Importance: The supersonic cruise missile is a strategic asset for India as in case of any possible threats from China and Pakistan it would act as deterrence against them.
- Deployed: It has been operationalised in Indian Army, Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Navy.
- Features: It is often described as the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile. It is highly versatile thus can be fired from land, sea and air with a high rate of precision and accuracy. In modern-day complex battlefields, Brahmos has established itself as a major force multiplier with its impeccable land-attack, anti-ship capabilities along with a high rate of precision and accuracy. It also has multi-role and multi-platform abilities.
- Range: The medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile has a strike range of about 290 km.
Tags: Brahmaputra • BrahMos Aerospace Limited • BrahMos missile • BrahMos Missile Test Fired • Defence Research and Development Organisation