official development assistance Current Affairs - 2020
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Gangajal Project. The project aims to improve water supply to the city of Agra.
About the Gangajal Project
The key facts about the project are:
- The Gangajal project aims to provide a better supply of drinking water which will benefit the residents as well as tourists.
- The Gangajal project aims to bring 140 cusecs of Ganga water to Agra to help in meeting the drinking water demands in the city.
- The project was launched in 2005 in collaboration with the Japan International Cooperation Agency and was scheduled to be completed by March 2012.
- The project missed several deadlines and even the cost of the project escalated from Rs 345 crore in 2005 to over Rs 2,800 crore.
- Under the Gangajal project, Agra will get 140 cusec water supply per day from Palra headworks in Bulandshahr’s Upper Ganga canal through the pipelines.
- Together with Agra, Mathura and Vrindavan will also get water through these pipelines.
Japan International Cooperation Agency
Japan International Cooperation Agency is an agency of the Japanese government which coordinates official development assistance (ODA) for the government of Japan. It aims to assist economic and social growth in developing countries and promote international cooperation. Japan International Cooperation Agency is advancing its activities around the pillars of a field-oriented approach, human security, enhanced effectiveness, efficiency, and speed.