Olympics Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Government’s think-tank NITI Aayog has devised a short-term and medium-to-long term action plan to help India achieve 50 medals in 2024 summer Olympics.
The action plans were devised after disappointing performance in 2016 Rio Olympics by India which is world’s second-most populous country with world-class talent in various disciplines.
- Short-term vision (4-8 years): It envisages targeting a group of priority sports, organising sportspersons into three groups for each priority sport.
- It seeks to harness the potential of regional and indigenous sports, selecting world-class coaches as well as a grading system for coaches.
- It will also focus on a strengthening and scaling up of existing SAI training centres, sports injury insurance scheme, facilitating creation of sports academies for individual sports.
- Under it, a digital database for sports will be created. Besides national sports code and sports Bill will be promoted.
- Medium to long term vision (8-15 years): It will focus on identifying talent at a young age, a dedicated training programme for coaches, having sports curriculum in schools/
- It will encourage development of sports infrastructure through PPP or private mode and developing a psychological and health support division.
- It will stress on the consistent funding of contracts, promoting a culture of sports in the country and hosting international events in priority sports.
- After each Olympics, a fixed 4-year contract will be signed between SAI and Group A sportspersons, keeping in mind their funding requirement for the next Olympics and other international events in between.
Tags: National • Niti Aayog • Olympics • Sports
International Olympic Committee (IOC) has officially recognised ‘Frisbee’ as an Olympic sport.
Decision in this regard was taken at the 128th IOC Session held in Kuala Lumpur, Malayasia by giving official recognition to World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF).
It was included as Olympic sport after WFDF had meet all the criteria including having 62 national federations members and gender equality.
Olympic recognition to this sport now opens the door to the some financial support from the IOC and participation in the Olympic Games.
Frisbee is the sport of flying disc which became popular in the 1960s and 70s. Presently, WFDF governs several Frisbee events including Beach Ultimate, Ultimate Frisbee and field events.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Frisbee • IOC • Olympics