Om Puri Current Affairs
Veteran actor Om Puri passed away following massive cardiac arrest in Mumbai, Maharashtra. He was 66. His acting credits include appearances in commercial Indian, British, and Hollywood, independent films and art films.
He was credited for being part of parallel, new-wave cinema along with Naseeruddin Shah, Shabana Azmi and Smita Patil that brought change in the film industry back in the 1980s.
About Om Puri
- He was born on October 18, 1950 in Ambala, Haryana.
- He was one of the prominent names of parallel cinema that changed Indian cinema in the 1980s. He made his debut in films in a marathi film Ghashiram Kotwal in 1972.
- He had studied acting in India’s two of the most prestigious acting schools of the country- National School of Drama (NSD) and Film and Television Institute of India (FTII).
- He is remembered for his strong performances in films like Bhavni Bhavai (1980), Sadgati (1981), Ardh Satya (1982), Mirch Masala (1986) and Dharavi (1992).
- His last appearance was in a Pakistani comedy film, Actor in Law, which had released in September 2016. He also had lent his voice for the character of Bagheera in The Jungle Book.
- He had won two time National Award winner for his roles in Arohan and Ardh Sathya. He was honoured with Padmashri, the fourth highest civilian award of India in 1990.