Padma Bhushan Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On January 26, 2020, Government of India announced 141 Padma Awards on the occasion of 71st Republic Day celebrations.
Former Union Ministers George Fernandes, Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj are to be awarded with Padma Vibhushan posthumously. Former PM of Mauritius Anerood Jugnauth, Boxer MC Mary Kom, Hindustani classical vocalist Chhannulal Mishra are also to be awarded with the prestigious award.
The former CM of Goa Manohar Parrikar is to be conferred with the award posthumously.
Two Bangladeshis are to awarded honoured with Padma awards as well. It includes High Commissioner of Bangladesh to India Mr Syed Muazzem Ali who passed away in 2014. He rebelled against the Pakistani Government and declared his allegiance to Bangladesh in 1971. He was serving in the Pakistan embassy during his allegiance.
The awards are one of the highest civilian honours of India. The awards are presented in three categories namely Padma Vibhushan, Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan. The awards are conferred based on the recommendations made by the Padma Awards Committee. The committee is constituted by the Prime Minister every year. However, the nomination process is open to the public as well. Even self-nominations are allowed.
Padma Vibhushan is awarded for exceptional and distinguished services. Padma Shri is awarded for distinguished service and Padma Bhushan is awarded for distinguished service of high order.
Tags: Padma Awards • Padma Bhushan • Padma Shri • Padma Shri award • Padma Vibhushan
PM Modi is on an official visit to Thailand to attend the ASEAN, RCEP and East Asia Summits. He addressed the Indian diaspora in the country at the “Sawasdee PM Modi” event in the Thai capital, Bangkok.
Highlights of his address
- North East India to be the gateway to South East Asia as a part of India’s Act East Policy
- India announced itself open-defecation free on Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary
- Around 8 crore homes have received free LPG connections in 3 years.
- GoI is working to achieve the goal of house for every poor by 2022, when India celebrates 75 years of independence.
- Princess Maha Chakri Srindhorn is an expert in Sanskrit language and has deep interest towards culture. India has shown its gratitude to her by bestowing the Padma Bhushan and Sanskrit Samman award to her.
Prior to his speech, the PM released a commemorative coin marking 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev and also released the Thai translation of Tamil classic Tirukkural.
Tags: 550th birth anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak • ASEAN • commemorative coin • East Asia Summit • India-Thailand