Palestine Current Affairs
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will embark on four-day official state visit to Palestine, Oman and UAE in February 2018.
This will be the first ever visit by Indian Prime Minister to Palestine and PM Modi’s second visit to UAE and first to Oman. During the visit, PM Modi will hold talks with the leadership in the countries on “matters of mutual interest with their leaders, apart from participating in other events.
Palestine visit: PM Modi will hold meeting with Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas, who had visited India last May 2017 when India had reassured unwavering support towards Palestinian cause. PM Modi’s visit to Palestine comes less than month after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s India trip in January 2018.
UAE visit: PM Modi will hold talks with the leadership on key issues of defence, security and trade. He will also address Sixth World Government Summit to be held in Dubai at which India is ‘Guest of Honour’. He will also meet the Indian community.
Oman visit: During the visit, PM Modi’s focus will be on intensifying cooperation in key sectors such as trade and defence. He will also meet the Indian community. Bilateral trade and investment between India and Oman remain robust and buoyant. It saw decline during 2014-15 and 2015-16, has resumed its upward trend with an increase of 3.6% from $3.8 billion in 2015-16 to $4 billion in 2016-17.
Palestinian teacher Hanan Al Hroub from a refugee camp has been awarded prestigious one million dollar 2016 Global Teacher Prize.
She was presented with the award at a ceremony held in Dubai for her outstanding contribution to the profession.
She beat nine other finalists to bag the award including India’s Robin Chaurasiya, who runs a not-for-profit school in Mumbai for girls from the city’s red light district of Kamatipura.
About Hanan Al Hroub
- She runs the Samiha Khalil High School in Al-Bireh, Palestine.
- She uses a specialist approach in her school to overcome tense environments of the region under the shadow of the Israel-Palestine conflict.
- Hroub’s approach has led to a decline in violent behaviour in schools where it was a frequent occurrence. It has been detailed in her book ‘We Play and Learn’
- She also has inspired her colleagues to review the way they teach and their classroom management strategies.
About Global Teacher Prize
- The Global Teacher Prize was set up by Sunny Varkey, Kerala-born entrepreneur and educational philanthropist in 2014.
- Every year it recognizes one exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. It also considers teachers important role played in the society.