Pema Khandu Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, Pema Khandu inaugurated India’s longest single-lane steel cable suspension bridge over Siang River in Upper Siang district of Arunachal Pradesh.
Key Facts about the Bridge
The important Facts about the Bridge are:
- The bridge is 300-metre-long and is also known as byorung bridge.
- The bridge will reduce the distance between Yingkiong and Tuting in Arunachal Pradesh by almost 40 km.
- The bridge was constructed under the non-lapsable central pool of resources (NLCPR) of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region at a cost of Rs 48.43 crore.
- The bridge would help the movement of people residing on both sides of the river bank. The bridge would be of great help to around 20,000 people on living on both sides of the Siang river.
- The bridge will also bolster defense preparedness and facilitate the army in their operations.
The Siang River is considered as lifeline of Arunachal Pradesh. The Tsangpo river originates in the Angsi Glacier in the Himalayas. The river enters India through Arunachal Pradesh where it is called by name Siang. The river is also called as Dihang in the plain regions. As the river flows through the plains it is joined by the rivers Dibang and Lohit. Downstream of the confluence of Lohit, the river is called by name Brahmaputra.
Tags: Angsi Glacier • Arunachal Pradesh • Brahmaputra • byorung bridge • Dibang • Dihang • India’s longest single-lane steel cable suspension bridge • Lohit • Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region • Pema Khandu • Siang River • Tuting • Yingkiong
Foundation stone of Rhodendron Park was laid in Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh by Chief Minister Pema Khandu. Tawang district was once home to about 100 species of rhododendron but now they have been reduced to only 50 plus species due to construction activities in border areas.
The park will be built in total area of 1.15 hectares. It will be partly funded under border area development programme (BADP). More than 30 species of rhododendrons would be planted and conserved in park where terrace cutting to raise the beauty and scenic component.
The park will also have modern nursery, information center on rhododendron, resting sheds, public toilet facility, vehicle parking facility, signage and lightings and iron security gate. It will add to the scenic enhancement of city and also offer an opportunity for conservation of rhodo species, which are under serious threat due to various ongoing road and land acquisition projects.
Rhododendron is a genus of 1,024 species of woody plants in heath family (Ericaceae). It is either evergreen or deciduous. Most species of Rhododendron have brightly coloured flowers which bloom from late winter through to early summer. It is also found mainly in Asia and also widespread throughout highlands of Appalachian Mountains of North America. It is the national flower of Nepal.