People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India’s 1st solar fenced elephant sanctuary will come up near Bengaluru, Karnataka.
It was announced by an international animal rights and conservation group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
In this regard, PETA and the Bannerghatta Biological Park, Karnataka have joined hands.
Key facts about solar fenced elephant sanctuary
- Its main objective is to allow elephants in this park to move around freely within the secure area to curb man- animal conflicts in this area.
- It will cover 49.5 hectare area within the Biological Park which is an extension of the Bannerghatta National Park.
- Designed by the PETA consultant and elephant expert Carol Buckley and basically includes solar electric fence and a state-of-the-art emergency corral made of steel pipes.
- Local caregivers will be also trained on the principles of protected contact. It will allow safe interaction between human beings and elephants by keeping them separated by a barrier.
- It will also replace age-old routine of physical punishment techniques to manage the elephants, by positive reinforcement techniques.