Person in news Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Retired Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court Justice Permod Kohli was sworn in as the Chairman of Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT).
He succeeded Justice Syed Rafat Alam and will have tenure of 5 years with effect from the date of assumption of charge of the post or till attaining the age of 68 years, whichever is earlier.
About Justice (retd) Permod Kohli
- Born in 1951 in Rajouri, Jammu and Kasmir. He had joined Bar at Jammu in 1972.
- In 1990, he was appointed as Advocate General of Jammu & Kashmir. He is an expert in Civil, Constitutional and Taxation cases.
- He had served as Judge in the High Courts of Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand and Punjab & Haryana. He was elevated as the Chief Justice of the Sikkim High Court in 2011.
- He also had served as the Legal Advisor to Sri Mata Vaishno Devi University and Sri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board.
About Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT)
- CAT was established under Article 323A of the Constitution (inserted by the 42nd Constitutional Amendment, 1976).
- It is a multi-member body consisting of Chairman and members. It was established in 1985 under Section 29 of the Administrative Tribunals Act, 1985.
- It exercises original jurisdiction in relation to recruitment and all services matters of public servants covered by it.
- Its jurisdiction extends to the all-India services, Central civil services, civil posts under the Centre and civilian employee of defence services.
Music Legend David Bowie passed away on 10 January 2016 in New York, United States following a battle with liver cancer. He was 69.
He was one of the most influential musicians of 1970s and was famously known for his creative musicianship to break pop and rock boundaries.
About David Bowie
- David Bowie was born as David Robert Jones on 8 January 1947 in London, England.
- His career spanned around 51 years and since his first album release in 1967, around 140 million albums were sold.
- He became international fame in 1972 after the release of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars.
- He has 111 singles and 51 music videos to this credit in his 5 decades career.
- He had released his latest album Blackstar on 8 January 2016. His last live music performance was in 2006 at a New York charity concert.
- His hits include Heroes, Let’s Dance, Space Oddity, Rebel, Rebel, Under Pressure, Life on Mars and Suffragette City.
- He has won two Grammy Awards and three Brit Awards. In 1999, he was made a Commander of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French government.