Person in news Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Eminent South Indian filmmaker and Dadasaheb Phalke Award winner Kailasam Balachander passed away in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He was 84.
About K. Balachander
- He was a multi-lingual filmmaker and has directed many films in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi.
- His film career spanned over 45 years and made his debut in 1965 with the Tamil film ‘Neerkumizhi’.
- He has written, directed and produced more than 100 films.
- He is considered as guru and mentor of south Indian film legend Rajinikanth. He had introduced Rajinikanth in his film Apporva Raagangal in the year 1975. He was also mentor of Kamal Haasan.
- Awards: He has won 9 national film awards, several Filmfare awards and Kalaimamani award given by Tamil Nadu government. He was a recipient of the Padma Shri and Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2010.
- His Critically acclaimed and well-known films: Aval Oru Thodar Kathai, Sindhu Bhairavi, Manmadha Leelai, Anthuleni Katha and Moondru Mudichu.
Tags: Dadasaheb Phalke Awardee • K. Balachander- eminent South Indian filmmaker • Mentor of south Indian film legend Rajinikanth • Person in news
Rajinder Khanna is appointed as new chief of the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW). His name was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
He will replace incumbent chief Alok Joshi as he is to retire on 30th December. Mr. Khanna will have two years tenure from date he takes the charge.
He belongs to 1978 batch of RAW Allied Services (RAS) officer. He is considered as the father of counter-terrorism unit in the RAW and has been in the forefront of seeking cooperation from intelligence agencies around the globe. Mr Khanna also has served in Northeast as well as abroad.
About Research and Analysis Wing (RAW)
- The RAW is the primary foreign/external intelligence agency of India. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- It was formed in September 1968 under the guidance of its first Director, Rameshwar Nath Kao.
- Functions: The primary function of RAW is to gather foreign intelligence and counter-terrorism. In addition it is responsible for obtaining and analysing information about foreign governments, corporations and persons to advise Indian policymakers. It is also involved in the security of India’s nuclear programme.