The Union Government has reconstituted six Committees of the Cabinet after recent ministry reshuffle. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman who was elevated in recent Cabinet restructuring process was inducted as full time member of Cabinet Committee on Security, Cabinet Committees on Economic and Political Affairs. Railway Minister Piyush Goyal and Dharmendra Pradhan were also included as permanent members of the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA).
Under the Government of India Transaction of Business Rules (TBR), 1961 executive arm of government is assigned task of conducting the business of it in an effective and convenient manner. The Cabinet Committees are constituted under these rules. They are extra-constitutional in nature and are nowhere mentioned in the Constitution. They are instrumental in reducing the workload of the Government.
The six Committees of the Cabinet are
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC): It is responsible for all appointments of higher ranks in the Central Secretariat, Public Enterprises, Public Enterprises and Financial Institutions.
- Cabinet Committee on Accommodation (CCA): It is responsible for the allotment of accommodation for various top positions in the Government of India.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA): It deals with the activities pertaining to the economics of the country.
- Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs (CCPA): It looks into the matters related to the progress of government business in the Parliament of India. It is headed by Union Home Minister.
- Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA): It is responsible for all issues related to domestic and foreign affairs. It is most powerful cabinet committee and is described as Super Cabinet.
- Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS): It is one of the most important committees in India, it looks into the matters of defece expenditures and National Security.
Note: All Committees of Cabinet except Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs (CCPA) is chaired/headed by Prime Minister. CCPA is headed by Union Home Minister.