Places Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The North Western Railway has declared the Barmer-Munawab and Pipad Road-Bilara rail routes in Rajasthan as Green Corridors.
With this total number of green corridors has increased to five. The 114-km-long Manamadurai– Rameswaram stretch of Southern Railway was India’s first ‘Green corridor’. Okha-Kanalus and Porbandar-Wasjaliya railway sections of Gujarat also have been declared green corridors.
What is green corridor?
The Green Corridor ensures zero toilet discharge on rail tracks as part of its commitment to clean environment under the ‘Swachh Rail-Swachh Bharat’ initiative. Trains in the section have been equipped with bio-toilets to ensure zero discharge of human waste on the rail tracks and preventing corrosion of the tracks.
About Bio toilets
- Indian Railway had developed the environment friendly ‘Bio-toilets’, in association with Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Bio-toilets evacuate discharge into a biodigester tank, containing anaerobic bacteria, fitted underneath the train coach in a small space.
- The bacteria convert human faecal matter into water and small amount of gases (including methane) by process of hydrolysis, acetogenesis, acidogenesis and methanogenesis.
- Indian railways aims to install human waste discharge free bio-toilets in all its coaches as part of the Swachh Bharat Mission by September 2019.
The first-ever meeting of BRICS Employment Working Group (BEWG) was held in Hyderabad, Telangana from July 27 to 28, 2016.
The agenda of the two day meeting was to shape the agenda for labour and employment track in BRICS countries.
Key highlights of meeting
- BRICS member countries were able to reach a consensus on employment generation, social security agreement and networking of labour institutes.
- The meeting set the agenda to promote decent work and promote job creation between BRICS countries.
- The foundation works for BEWG were also laid by delegates from member countries. India has drafted the Terms of Reference (TOR) of BEWG which has now been finalised.
- Besides, India also put forth some proposals for concrete collective action in the field of social security as well as research and capacity building.
The BEWG meeting is a prelude to the BRICS Labour and Employment Ministerial Meeting scheduled on September 27-28, 2016 under the Indian Presidency at Agra, Uttar Pradesh. The need to set up employment working group was first recognised at the first BRICS Labour and Employment Ministers meeting held at Ufa, Russia in 2015.