Pm Modi Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Indo-Pacific Initiative was proposed by PM Modi for a safe and secure maritime at the East Asia Summit. This indicates that India is ready to play a bigger role in the region where China has been pushing its military assertiveness.
Facts of Indo-Pacific Initiative
- The idea of the initiative was mooted by the PM when he addressed the East Asia Summit in Thailand.
- The main objective of the initiative is to achieve safe, secure and a stable maritime domain.
- The initiative aims to achieve this by creating partnerships among interested states by sustainably using marine resources.
- To take the initiative forward, India will organize a Indo-Pacific Conclave in Chennai early next year.
- Japan, Australia and Thailand support the initiative already. And many more ASEAN countries are expected to express their support to the initiative in the near future.
- The initiative is considered by the experts as an incremental step to the Shangri la dialogue.
Significance of the initiative
- This will give confidence to minor players of ASEAN that their role in the region will not be diluted
- It will ensure freedom of navigation, freedom of overflights and the disputed are resolved as per international conventions
Tags: ASEAN • East Asia Summit • India-ASEAN • Indo-Pacific • Pm Modi
PM Modi is to attend the 11th BRICS summit that is to be conducted in Brazil on November 13, 2019. He will be accompanied by a large business delegates during the visit. The theme of 2019 BRICS summit is Economic Growth for an Innovative Future
- PM is to attend restricted sessions during the visit. The sessions will focus on opportunities and challenges for the national sovereignty in the world.
- BRICS Plenary session is to be held where the leaders are to discuss BRICS cooperation for economic development of member nations
- Meeting of BRICS Business Council is also planned during the summit. During the session the MoUs between the BRICS countries and Investment Promotion agencies are to be signed
- A joint Declaration will be issued at the end of the summit.
BRICS comprises of 5 major economies namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The member countries of BRICS grouping hold 42% of world’s population, 17% of world trade and 23% of world GDP. In 2018, BRICS commemorated its 10th anniversary in Johannesburg. The two main pillars of BRICS are
- It helps to consult on issues of mutual interests through meetings
- Also it helps to promote several sectors like agriculture, education, health, finance, trade, technology and communication.