PMJAY Current Affairs - 2020
The Union Health Ministry released its data on PMJAY – Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana. The scheme aimed at helping economically vulnerable persons. It aimed to cover more than 10 crore families.
- According to the report, every year there are 11.57 lakh new cancer patients in India and 7.84 lakh cancer deaths.
- In the first year, PLJAY has funded 90,000 cancer patients
- There are around 22.5 lakh Indians living with cancer at a given point of time. Tamil Nadu tops the list with 40,056 cases followed by Kerala (22,000), Madhya Pradesh (19,455), Chattisgarh (15,997) and Gujarat (14,380)
- The report says that there is a steep rise in cancer care for patients and treatment facilities.
- On the whole, the National Health Authority, the nodal agency for implementation of PMJAY has sanctioned Rs 321 crores so far for cancer care.
Steps under the PMJAY
- Under PMJAY, HWC (Health and Wellness Centers) were started for 3 types of cancer namely oral, breast and cervical.
- The scheme was launched in September 2018 with cancer care as its top priority.
- The National Cancer Grid and National Health Authority collaborated to battle cancer under the scheme. The main objective of the collaboration included developing uniform standards of patient care of prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Tags: Ayushman Bharat • Cancer • Health • National Health Mission • PMJAY
The National Health Authority (NHA) has joined hands with international giant Google to collaborate as well as strengthen the implementation of government’s flagship health insurance scheme, Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY).
Key Highlights of Collaboration
The NHA and Goggle will be working closely to explore various user cases for increasing process efficiencies in day-to-day applications.
Google will support NHA in improving and strengthening PM-JAY’s digital/online presence and showcasing relevant content to Rs.50 crore entitled beneficiaries.
Moreover, Google will also help to provide training and support to NHA personnel to build on digital skills as well as explore the best possible ways to extend PMJAY benefits to the citizens.
With advancements in technologies like machine learning (ML), the two organizations will also explore the best solutions that can help NHA to efficiently scale the process of PM-JAY.
The collaboration will bolster PM-JAY’s objective of reaching the poor and vulnerable, thereby reducing their high out-of-pocket health expenditure, and improving access to quality healthcare.
Robust technology is the mainstay of PM-JAY such as in areas of fraud prevention and detection, claim approvals. Thus the use of technology can help reduce turnaround time and aid in faster closure of processes which will further enable the states to implement the scheme more effectively.
The collaboration of NHA with Google will also improve online presence.
Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana
It is a centrally sponsored scheme (CSS) that launched in 2018. The scheme aims to make interventions in primary, secondary and tertiary care systems. It covers both preventive and promotive health, to address healthcare holistically.
It is aimed to bring quality healthcare to around 50 crore poor and vulnerable Indians across India. It is touted as the world’s largest public funded health insurance scheme.
The National Health Authority (NHA) is implementing of PM-JAY. NHA Mission is to create world’s best health assurance programme on an efficient and technologically robust eco-system.