Poet Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Noted Malayalam poet and lyricist O N V Kurup passed away in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 84.
He was popularly known as “ONV”, Ottaplakkal Nambiyadikkal Velu Kurup and had made significant contributions to the Malayalam film music. He was also was part of the progressive movement in Kerala.
About O N V Kurup
- Born on 27 May 1931 in Chavara, Kollam.
- He had started his career as a lecturer in Maharajas College, Ernakulam later he taught at the different colleges.
- His first poem “Munnottu” (Forward) about his patriotic feelings was published in 1946.
- His notable works include Agnishalabhangal (1971), Aksharam (1974), Uppu (1980), Bhoomikkoru Charamageetham (1984), Ujjayini (1994) and Swayamvaram (1995).
- He had served as Chairman of the Kerala Kalamdandalam and also held several top positions in various arts and literary bodies.
- Awards and Honours: He was awarded Kerala and Kendra Sahitya Academy awards.
- In 2007, was awarded country’s highest literary honour, the Jnanpith Award for his overall contributions to the Malayalam literature.
- He was also awarded Padma Shri (1998) and Padma Vibhushan (2011).
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Kerala • Malayalam • O N V Kurup • Obituary
Renowned Urdu Poet and well known Bollywood lyricist Nida Fazli passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra following a heart attack. He was 78 years old.
He was best known among singers and fans for his elegant presentation of ghazals, nazm and dohaas.
About Nida Fazli
- Nida Fazli was born on 12 October, 1938 in Delhi in a Kashmiri family and was the son of famous poet Murtaza Hasan Baidi.
- At the time of partition, his parents had migrated to Pakistan while he preferred to stay in India.
- Later he shifted to Mumbai and wrote in Dharmayug and Blitz magazines in early days of his career.
- His poetry used both urban and village landscapes to explore nature and human relations. He also had written several songs for Indian films.
- He has 24 books to his credit in Urdu, Hindi and Gujarati languages. Some of his books are assigned as school textbooks in Maharashtra.
- Famous works: Lafzon ke Phool (collection of sher-o-shayari), Mor Naach (collected works) in 1978, Mulaqaten (character-sketches), Aankh aur Khwab ke Darmiyan, Safar Mein Dhuup to Hogi, etc.
- His most acclaimed shers: ‘Duniya jise kehte hain jaadu kaa khilona hai, Mil jaaye to mitti hai, kho jaaye to sona hai’.
- His popular film songs: Tu is tarah se meri zindagi mein (Aap To Aise Na The), Aa bhi jaa (Sur) and Hosh waalon ko khabar (Sarfarosh) etc.
- Awards and Honours: Khusro Award, Best Poetry Award from Maharashtra Urdu Academy, Hindi Urdu Sangam Award, Sahitya Akademi Award (1998).
- He also had won Bollywood Movie Award – Best Lyricist (2003), National Harmony Award and Padma Shri (2013).
- He also had received the Mir Taqi Mir award for his autobiographical novel ‘Deewaron Ke Beech’.