Poet Current Affairs - 2020
The Veteran Urdu poet Anand Mohan Zutshi ‘Gulzar’ Dehlvi passed away after recovering from COVID-19 in less than a week. He was 93.
Mr Gulzar tested positive for COVID-19 early June, 2020. He returned home after recovering from the infection. However, due to his age, the infection left him weak and he died of cardiac arrest.
Gulzar was the editor of “Science ki Duniya”, the only science magazine published in Urdu by the Government of India. It was launched in 1975. He has also set up Urudu schools in India. Gulzar was associated with freedom movements since 1930s. He is a Padmashree awardee.
He was a follower of “Ganga-Jamani Tehzeeb”, a term used to define syncretic Hindu-Muslim culture. He was also a part of number of mushairas namely Jashn-e-Rekhta and Jigar Fest.
Mushairas is a social gathering where Urdu poetry is read and it also conducted as contests.
Syncretism is the union or fusion of different religions and cultures.
Tags: COVID-19 • Gulzar • Hindu • Muslims • Padmashree Award
Noted Malayalam poet and lyricist O N V Kurup passed away in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 84.
He was popularly known as “ONV”, Ottaplakkal Nambiyadikkal Velu Kurup and had made significant contributions to the Malayalam film music. He was also was part of the progressive movement in Kerala.
About O N V Kurup
- Born on 27 May 1931 in Chavara, Kollam.
- He had started his career as a lecturer in Maharajas College, Ernakulam later he taught at the different colleges.
- His first poem “Munnottu” (Forward) about his patriotic feelings was published in 1946.
- His notable works include Agnishalabhangal (1971), Aksharam (1974), Uppu (1980), Bhoomikkoru Charamageetham (1984), Ujjayini (1994) and Swayamvaram (1995).
- He had served as Chairman of the Kerala Kalamdandalam and also held several top positions in various arts and literary bodies.
- Awards and Honours: He was awarded Kerala and Kendra Sahitya Academy awards.
- In 2007, was awarded country’s highest literary honour, the Jnanpith Award for his overall contributions to the Malayalam literature.
- He was also awarded Padma Shri (1998) and Padma Vibhushan (2011).