Pokhran Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test-fired indigenously designed and developed Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM) in the deserts of Pokhran in Rajasthan.
Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile
- Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM) incorporates many advanced features, including, image infrared radar (IIR) seeker with integrated avionics.
- MPATGM is a third-generation anti-tank guided missile (ATGM), developed by DRDO in association with VEM Technologies Ltd.
- MPATGM is fitted with high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warhead.
- MPATGM has a top attack capability and has a maximum engagement range of about 2.5 kilometres.
- MPATGM capable of being fired from the shoulder and can be used during day and night.
MPATGM are being developed to replace the French origin anti-tank guided missile Milan and Soviet semi-automatic wire-guided missile Konkur in service with Indian Army. The test trail at Rajasthan was the fourth overall development trial of the MPATGM.
Tags: Anti-Tank Guided Missile • ATGM • Defence Research and Development Organisation • DRDO • high-explosive anti-tank • image infrared radar • Konkur • Man Portable Anti tank guided missile • Milan • MPATGM • Pokhran • Rajasthan
A mega exercise, EXERCISE VAYU SHAKTI-2019 involving 140 fighter jets and attack helicopters, in a firepower demonstration was held close to the border with Pakistan at Pokhran in Rajasthan.
Indian Airforce Strength at Display
The mega exercise, EXERCISE VAYU SHAKTI-2019 displayed the might of the Indian Airforce:
- The IAF showcased firepower capability of indigenously-developed platforms like Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) and efficacy of Akash surface-to-air missile and Astra air-to-air missile.
- For the first time, the ALH and the Akash were deployed in a military exercise.
- A total of 137 aircraft including Sukhoi-30s, Mirage 2000s, Jaguars, Mig-21 Bison, Mig-27, Mig-29, IL78, Hercules and AN-32 aircraft participated in this mega exercise.
Vayu Shakti and Gagan Shakti
Vayu Shakti and Gagan Shakti are two important exercises held by Indian Airforce. Exercise Vayu Shakti demonstrtaes the IAF’s ability to strike targets on the ground such as enemy convoys and tanks, radar stations, railway yards and military headquarters. The other important dimension of air power, air-to-air combat is out into display at another exercise of IAF called Gagan Shakti.