Poland Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Conservative Right-wing Law and Justice (PiS) Party and Eurosceptic led by Jaroslaw Kaczynski has won the 2015 Parliamentary elections of Poland.
In this election, PiS Party won absolute majority by winning 235 of total 460 seats and securing 39.1 per cent of the votes.
The governing Civic Platform Party led by Ewa Kopacz emerged as largest opposition party by securing 23.4 per cent of the votes.
With this victory, the deputy leader of PiS Party Beata Szydło is set to become the next Prime Minister of Poland, succeeding Ewa Kopacz.
Three other parties also won enough votes to get seats in parliament. They are newly formed right-wing Kukiz’15 Party led by Pawel Kukiz (8.8 percent votes), newly formed pro-business Modern Poland Party (7.6 percent votes) and agrarian Polish People’s Party (5.1 percent votes).
Russian journalist and social activist Zhanna Nemtsova was awarded with Poland’s Solidarity Prize 2015.
She was bestowed with this award for championing (promotion and protection) democracy and human rights.
Zhanna is the daughter of slain Russian statesman and liberal politician Boris Nemtsov who was assassinated by unknown assailants on February 27, 2014.
Presently, she is working for Berlin based German broadcaster Deutsche Welle in the Russian department. Earlier she has worked with Russian business news channel RBK. She had left Russia in June 2014 after her father’s assassination.
About Solidarity Prize
- It is Polish award for promotion and protection of democracy and civil liberties.
- Established in 2014 by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Poland.
- The prize is named after former Polish President and anti-communist icon leader Lech Walesa, who had launched trade union named Solidarity trade union.
- It was established to mark the 25th anniversary of Poland’s semi-free elections which were held in 1989. This election had signalled the end of communism across the Soviet bloc.
- Award carries monetary prize of US 1.1 million dollars.