Veteran CPI(M) leader and former Speaker of the West Bengal Assembly Hasim Abdul Halin passed away in Kolkata. He was 80.
Halin was the Speaker of the State Assembly for a record time of 29 years from 1982 to 2011 during the Left Front rule in the state. Thus, he was the longest-serving Speaker of any Legislative Assembly in the country.
About Hashim Abdul Halim
- Born: He was born on 5 June 1935.
- Political Career: He was adherent member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
- He was elected for the first time to state assembly as an MLA in 1977 when the CPI(M)-led Left Front came to power.
- In the first term of the Left Front government (from 1977 and 1982) led by Jyoti Basu, he had served as the Minister of Judicial Affairs.
- He was elected as Speaker for first time in 1982. Since then he remained as one during the rest of Left Front’s tenure i.e. in all its six terms till 2011.