Politician Current Affairs
Former Union Minister of state (MoS) Dr C Silvera passed away due stroke in Aizawl District, Mizoram. He was 80.
He had served as Union MoS for Ministry of Health and Family Welfare from 17 February 1994 to 15 September 1999.
He was the first and so far the only person from Mizoram to be in the Indian Union Council of Ministers as Minister.
About Dr C Silvera
- Dr C. Silvera was born 6 May 1935 in Lunglei District, Mizoram. He was a medical doctor by profession and a Indian National Congress politician in Mizoram.
- He was also the longest serving member of Parliament of India from the Mizoram Lok Sabha constituency. In 1995, he became Minister of State for Industry.
- He was elected in the 9th Lok Sabha, 10th Lok Sabha and the 11th Lok Sabha. He was elected member of Rajya Sabha for the term 1984-1990 from Mizoram.
Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed passed away due to multiple organ failure at the AIIMS hospital in New Delhi. He was 79.
Mr. Sayeed, a two-time Chief Minister of J&K had started his second tenure on March 1st, 2015 heading Peoples Democratic Party-Bhartiya Janta Party (PDP-BJP) coalition government.
About Mufti Mohammad Sayeed
- He was born on 12 January 1936 in Anantnag district of South Kashmir.
- Political career: He had started his political career with Democratic National Conference (DNC) Party of G M Sadiq from grassroot level in 1950s.
- For first time he was elected to J&K state assembly from Bijbehara in 1962. During this time he has served as Deputy Minister in G M Sadiq led state government.
- Later he fell out with the DNC and joined the Indian National Congress (INC) becoming cabinet minister in Congress Government.
- In 1987 he left the Congress Party and co-founded Jan Morcha with former Prime Minister V.P. Singh.
- He left the Congress party in 1999 along with his daughter Mehbooba Mufti to form his own Jammu and Kashmir People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
- Chief Minister: For first time he became CM in 2002 heading PDP-Congress coalition government and was in office from November 2002 to November 2005.
- Union Minister: He had served as Union Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation in Rajiv Gandhi Government in 1986.
- In 1989, he became first Muslim Minister for Home Affairs in the Union Cabinet headed by then PM V.P. Singh.