Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Current Affairs - 2020
All households in the state of Himachal Pradesh have access to LPG Gas Connection, making Himachal Pradesh the first state in the country to achieve the goal set by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the launch of Ujjwala Yojana for providing a cooking gas connection to every household in the country. This was announced on 6th July 2020 by the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh Jai Ram Thakur.
Apart from the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, the scheme of the Himachal Pradesh State Government ‘Himachal Grihini Suvidha Yojana’ has also played an important role for achieving the 100 percent household cooking gas connection in the state.
Himachal Grihini Suvidha Yojana
The Himachal Grihini Suvidha Yojana was launched back in May 2018 for providing LPG gas connection to households that were left out under the Ujjwala Yojana of the Central Government.
All households in the state of Himachal Pradesh were eligible under the Himachal Grihini Suvidha Yojana, except for households having pensioner, or any member of the household employed with the state or central government, households with income taxpayers.
To date, a total of 2,76,243 households were provided with a free LPG gas connection under the Himachal Grihini Suvidha Yojana.
Tags: Himachal Grihini Suvidha Yojana • Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister • Jai Ram Thakur • Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana • Prime Minister Narendra Modi
As per the data provided by the Union Finance Ministry on 20th June 2020, through Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP), a total of 42 crore citizens across the country have received financial aid of Rs 65,454 crore to date. The amount was distributed in the 3 forms, :(i) Through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) to beneficiaries such as women Jhan Dhan account holders, senior citizens/differently-abled/widows registered under Below Poverty Line (BPL), farmers (PM-KISAN), etc (ii) Providing free foodgrains to all families registered as BPL cardholders, and (iii) by providing free LPG cylinder to women registered under Ujjwala Yojana.
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP)
This package was announced by Finance Minister on 26th March 2020. The package was announced for providing economic support at the time of nationwide lockdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic for the financially weaker section of the society. A total of Rs 1.70 lakh crore was announced under the package.
Major Highlights from Rs 65,454 Crore Distribution
- 8.52 Crore LPG cylinders distributed under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in April and May
- In April, 113 lakh metric tonnes of food grains were lifted by all states and union territories in a combine
- 5.8 lakh metric tonnes of pulses allocated for all states and union territories for distribution for 3 months from April to June
- Rs 2814.5 crore provided to 2.81 crore beneficiaries (senior citizens, widows and differently-abled persons)
- Rs 17,891 crore under first payment for the FY 2020-21 to PM-KISAN beneficiaries
- In three separate installments, 20.62 crore women Jan Dhan account holders were credited with Rs 500 in each installment. A total of Rs 10,315 crore was transferred in each installment.