Pranab Mukherjee Current Affairs - 2020
President Pranab Mukherjee conferred the Gandhi Peace Prize for the year 2014 on Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
ISRO Chairman A S Kiran Kumar on behalf of the organisation received the prize at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
ISRO was chosen for the prestigious award in March 2015 for its contribution in development of space technology and satellite-based services, making space technology a catalyst of development of India and bringing societal transformation and provided the service to the common man and nation.
About Gandhi Peace Prize
- Instituted in 1995 by Union Government as a part of the 125th birth anniversary celebration of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Awarded annually to individuals and institutions for their contributions towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
- The prize carries an award of one crore rupees, a plaque and a citation.
- Previous recipients: Julius Nyerere (the first President of Tanzania) was the first recipient of the prize (1995). Other important recipients are Ramakrishna Mission, Baba Amte, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Grameen Bank, Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu and others.
Tags: awards • Current Affairs 2016 • ISRO • Pranab Mukherjee
India’s First Lady Suvra Mukherjee, wife of President Pranab Mukherjee passed away in New Delhi. She was 74.
On 7th August 2015, she had suffered a cardiac arrest and was admitted to Research and Referral Army Hospital.
About Suvra Mukherjee
- Suvra Mukherjee was born on 17th of September 1940 in Jessore (now in Bangladesh).
- She was married to Mr Pranab Mukherjee in 1957 and they have three children- Sharmistha Mukherjee, Abhijit Mukherjee and Indrajit Mukherjee.
- Suvra was a vocalist of Rabindra Sangeet and was an ardent fan of India’s national poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- She had founded the Geetanjali Troupe to propagate Rabindranath Tagore’s philosophy as expressed through his songs and dance-dramas.
- For many years she had performed in the poet’s dance-dramas in different parts of India and across Europe, Asia and Africa.
- Suvra was also highly talented painter who had many solo and group exhibitions to her credit.
- She had also written two books Chokher Aloey (personal account of her close interaction with former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi) and Chena Achenai Chin (a travelogue recounting her visit to China).
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Obituary • Pranab Mukherjee • Suvra Mukherjee