Pranab Mukherjee Current Affairs - 2020
President Pranab Mukherjee launched a ‘100 Million for 100 Million’ Campaign at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The campaign was conceptualized by Nobel peace prize winner Kailash Satyarthi and was organized by the Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation.
- The campaign aims to mobilise 100 million youth and children for 100 million underprivileged children across the world.
- Its prime objective is to end child labour, child slavery, violence against children over the next 5 years.
- It also seeks to promote the right of every child to be safe, free, and educated.
- It will strive to inspire 100 million children to speak and act for the numerous other unfortunate children living in terrible conditions to build a child-friendly world.
Laureates and Leaders for Children Summit
- The launch of the campaign also brought curtains to the two-day ‘Laureates and Leaders for Children Summit’ held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- This summit had brought together collective leadership of around 25 Nobel laureates and leaders on a single platform for creating a child-friendly world.
- It even had channelized world leaders, thinkers, representatives of UN, award winning youth/child leaders and eminent persons from academia, business, cinema, sports and civil society.
Tags: 100 Million for 100 Million Campaign • Child Labour • Events • Kailash Satyarthi • National
President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first phase Kerala Tourism’s Muziris Heritage Project (MHP) at Trissur in Kerala to reinstate the historical and cultural significance Muziris.
The project is Kerala Government’s first green Project and India’s largest heritage conservation project. President also launched the website of the MHP.
MHP is supported by the Union Government and seeks to conserve ancient seaport of Muziris and showcase its culture of 3000 years.
The project also will play important role in the Spice Route initiative launched by Kerala Tourism with the help of UNESCO to revive state’s historic trade ties with 41 countries of the world.
About Ancient Muziris
- Muziris was an ancient seaport and urban centre which dates from at least the 1st century BC and located at the mouth of the Periyar River in Kerala.
- It was a key centre for trade and hub of the spice route in ancient times between southern India on one side and Egyptians, Phoenicians, Greeks and Roman Empire on the other side.
- Its historic importance has been mentioned in the bardic Sangam literature and a number of classical European historical sources.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Kerala • Muziris Heritage Project • Pranab Mukherjee