Pranab Mukherjee Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to the Haryana Gauvansh Sanrakshan and Gausamvardhan Bill, 2015 or Haryana Cow Protection Bill, 2015.
Thus, with the presidential assent the bill has come into force in the form of a law (Act). It completely bans cow slaughter, sale of beef and beef products in Haryana. It also has provisions for rigorous imprisonment and penalty for violators.
Features of Bill
- Complete ban of cow slaughter, sale of beef and beef products in Haryana state.
- Punishment: Violators will get rigorous imprisonment ranging from three to 10 years and a fine of up to 1 lakh rupees.
- Cow trafficking: Bans cow trafficking and in case any person who wants to export cows will have to seek permission for the same.
- Any person found guilty in exporting cows for slaughter would be imprisoned for 3 to 7 years and imposes fine between 30,000 rupees and 70,000 rupees.
- The bill was passed by the Haryana legislative assembly in March 2015. But after its passage, Haryana governor Kaptan Singh Solanki had reserved it for the consideration and assent of the President as per provisions of Article 201 of the Constitution.
- It should be noted that preservation and improvement of livestock, particularly the cow and calves has been listed in Article 48 of the Constitution under the directive principles of state policy.
Tags: Bills and Acts • Current Affairs 2016 • Haryana [HPSC] • Pranab Mukherjee • President
Pranab Mukherjee became first Indian President to address Israeli Parliament Knesset.
He addressed the Knesset as last leg of his official visit to 3 countries of west Asia viz. Jordan, Palestine and Israel. He is also is first Indian President to make a state visit Israel.
President’s address to Knesset
- India’s consistent policy had been to build a strong, mutually beneficial and substantive relationship with Israel.
- Appreciates Israel’s support to India’s bid for a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
- There is no other option to resolve conflicts other than negotiation and peaceful settlement as a long term measure. Condemed all forms of violence and India always sought a peaceful resolution of disputes.
Both countries also signed agreements on double taxation avoidance, cultural exchange and academic fields.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • India-Isreal • Pranab Mukherjee