President Donald Trump Current Affairs - 2020
The United States President Donald Trump awarded Presidential Medal of Freedom, country’s highest civilian honour to golfer Tiger Woods. The 43-year-old Tiger Woods became fourth and youngest, professional golfer to receive prestigious highest civilian honor (after other golfers Arnold Palmer (74 years), Jack Nicklaus (65years) and Charlie Sifford(92 years)).
About The Presidential Medal of Freedom
- It was first established by President Truman to honour extraordinary civilian accomplishments related to World War II. Later, in 1963 the medal was re-established by President Kennedy by an executive order.
- It is awarded by U.S. President to any person, living or dead (i.e. posthumously).
- It is awarded every year to people who have made “especially meritorious contribution” (outstanding) contributions to security or national interests of U.S., and to world peace, or other significant cultural or public or private endeavours.
- President usually awards the medal of freedom in groups during public ceremonies. Once given it cannot be revoked.
- 2018 Recipients: Roger Staubach, Miriam Adelson, Babe Ruth, and Elvis Presley, among others.
About Tiger Woods
- Eldrick Tont Woods is an USA’s professional golf player. His nickname is “Tiger”.
- He ranks second in both major championships and PGA (Professional Golfers’ Association of America) Tour wins.
- He holds numerous records in golf and is considered one of the greatest golfers of all time.