Prime Minister Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The name of former Supreme Court Judge Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose has been cleared by the Lokpal Selection Committee headed by the Prime Minister. The notification for the appointment is expected to be released soon. Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose would be the first Lokpal of India.
Salient features of the Lokpal Act 2013
- The Lokpal Act provides for setting up of an anti-corruption ombudsman called Lokpal at the Centre and Lokayukta at the State-level.
- The Lokpal would consist of a chairperson and a maximum of eight members of which 50 per cent shall be judicial members. 50 per cent of members of Lokpal shall be from SC/ST/OBCs, minorities and women.
- The ambit of Lokpal would cover all categories of public servants, including the Prime Minister with the exception of armed forces.
- The Lokpal Act mandated the states to institute Lokayukta within one year of the commencement of the Act.
- Lokpal will also have powers of superintendence and direction over any investigation agency including CBI for cases referred to them by the Lokpal.
- Lokpal is appointed based on the recommendation of the five-member panel comprising the Prime Minister, the Lok Sabha Speaker, the Leader of the Opposition, the Chief Justice of India and an eminent jurist nominated by the President.
- President would appoint the eminent jurist based on the recommendations of the other members of the panel.
The government has proposed an amendment to the Lokpal Act 2013 to enable the leader of the largest Opposition party to be the member of the selection panel in the absence of the leader of Opposition. To designate the leader as Leader of Opposition the largest opposition party must have a strength of at least 10% of the total members in the House and none of the parties managed to cross this mark in 2014 general elections.
During his two day visit to the state of Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the following development works at the state:
- The first phase of the Ahmedabad Metro Rail project. This 6.5 km stretch, connects Vastral to Apparel park area.
- Foundation Stone for the second phase of the Ahmedabad Metro Rail project which connects Motera cricket stadium to Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar.
- Launched the National Common Mobility Card- NCMC which is one card- one nation based Indigenous Automatic Fare Collection System.
- The new building of 1200 bed ultra modern super speciality hospital Medicity at Ahmedabad Civil Hospital campus.
- 590-bed cancer hospital, a 255-bed eye hospital and a dental hospital with 360 dental chairs at the Ahmedabad Civil Hospital campus.
- 51 kilometre long Patan- Bindi Railway line by digitally flagging off a goods train.
- Laid the foundation stone for 78.8 kilometres long Anand- Godhra Railway line doubling project.
- Distributed the Gold Cards to the beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana- PM JAY and Ayushman Bharat Yojana.
These projects would give a boost to the socio-economic development of Gujrat.
Tags: Ahmedabad Civil Hospital • Ahmedabad Metro Rail project • Anand- Godhra Railway line • Ayushman Bharat Yojana • Gujarat • National Common Mobility Card • NCMC • Patan- Bindi Railway line • Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana • Prime Minister