Prime Minister’s Office Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of P.K. Sinha as Principal Advisor to Prime Minister Narendra Modi with effect from 11 September 2019. He is currently functioning as as Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO). His appointment as Principal Advisor will be coterminus with the term of Prime Minister or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
About PK Sinha
He is a 1977 Batch IAS officer from Uttar Pradesh (UP) Cadre. During his career in IAS, he has served with distinction in many capacities both at level of Central Government as well as in Uttar Pradesh Government.
At the Central Government: He served as Cabinet Secretary from 13 June 2015 to 30 August 2019. Prior to this, he has for many years served in the Energy and Infrastructure Sectors as Secretary in Union Ministries of Power and Shipping and as Special Secretary in Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
At the State Government level: He has held various posts like District Magistrate (DM) of Jaunpur and Agra, Commissioner of Varanasi, Secretary (Planning) and Principal Secretary (Irrigation) among others.
Education: He is an Economics graduate from St. Stephens College, University of Delhi. He did his post-graduation in Economics from Delhi School of Economics (DSE). While in service he also obtained Masters Diploma in Public Administration and an M. Phil in Social Sciences.
Tags: Appointments Committee of Cabinet • Officer on Special Duty • P.K. Sinha • Prime Minister Narendra Modi • Prime Minister’s Office
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena gifted Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi a Samadhi Buddha statue (Buddha in meditation posture), during latter’s visit to Island nation.
- Prime Minister Modi arrived in Sri Lanka for a day-long visit, during which he met with President Sirisena and discussed bilateral issues of mutual interest.
- His visit is considered as a sign of India’s affirmation of solidarity with island nation in aftermath of the deadly Easter terror attacks in April 2019. PM Modi is first foreign leader to visit Sri Lanka after Easter attacks.
About Samadhi Buddha Statue
- The masterpiece replica of Samadhi Buddha statue presented to PM Modi has been hand carved using white teak and took almost two years to complete.
- This is considered to be one of best sculptures of Anuradhapura era (377 BC to 1017 AD) which is the first established kingdom in ancient Sri Lanka. The original statue was sculptured between 4th to 7th centuries AD.
- The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) called the Samadhi Buddha statue as ‘special gift from special friend’.
Tags: Anuradhapura era • India-Sri Lanka • Maithripala Sirisena • Prime Minister’s Office • Samadhi Buddha Statue