Project Sunrise Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda has launched Project Sunrise on for prevention of AIDS specially among people injecting drugs in the 8 North-Eastern states.
The AIDS prevention special project aims to diagnose 90 per cent of such drug addicts with HIV and put them under treatment by 2020.
- Project Sunrise aims at bringing the people living with HIV/AIDS into the national mainstream and create more awareness about the disease in these N-E states..
- It will be implemented in the North East in addition to the existing projects of the National AIDS Control Organization (NACO).
- The project has been sponsored by US based Centre for Disease Control and would be implemented by Family Health International 360.
- It will cover one lakh people living with HIV/AIDS by giving them treatment and care facilities free of cost.
- Other initiatives to be covered it include enhancing capacity of state-level institutions in high burden areas, community mobilization, intervention among females injecting drugs.
North Eastern States like Manipur, Nagaland and Mizoram account for highest adult (15-49 years) HIV prevalence in the country. National average for prevalence of HIV/AIDS among drug addicts is 7.14%, whereas in Manipur it is 12.9% and in Mizoram it is 12%.