Public Trasnportation Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
First Car-Free Day was observed in Delhi on 22 October 2015 to encourage the people to use public transport instead of using their cars.
It was observed from 7 AM till 12 noon on the stretch connecting Red Fort to India Gate via Delhi Gate and ITO.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia took part to observe this day by taking part in a cycle rally. DTC also had deployed additional buses with frequency of one or two minutes on this route for better facilitation of commuters.
Delhi government has decided to observe ‘Car-Free Day’ on different road stretches on the 22nd of every month. This initiative seeks to reduce pollution and traffic congestion in Delhi by encouraging residents to use public transport.
Metro Man Elattuvalapil Sreedharan has been invited to the United Nations’ High Level Advisory Group on Sustainable Transport (HLAG-ST).
He has been invited by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to serve on his HLAG-ST for a period of three years. Mr. E Sreedharan has accepted this offer.
About Elattuvalapil Sreedharan
- Mr. E Sreedharan was born on 12 June 1932 in Palakkad district of Kerala.
- He is a retired Indian Engineering Service (IES) officer.
- Achievements: He is credited for changing the face of public transport in India. Under his leadership, Konkan Railway and the Delhi Metro projects were completed on time.
- He was given the sobriquet of Metro Man by the Indian media for his grand success in executing the completion of the Delhi Metro on time and with stipulated budget.
- Awards: He has been conferred with Padma Shri (2001), Padma Vibhushan (2008) and French Government’s Chevalier de la Légion d’honneur (2005)