Punjab [PPSC] Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Transparency International conducted a survey to analyse the best practices followed by the states in the Budget Formulation.
About the Survey
The survey was based on 4 parameters which include public disclosure, budgetary process, post-budget fiscal management and efforts to make the budget more transparent and citizen-friendly. The findings of the survey are:
- The top slot in the survey was occupied by Assam.
- Assam was followed by Andhra Pradesh and Odisha in the ranking of best practices followed by states in the Budget formulation.
- Meghalaya, Manipur and Punjab figured in the bottom list.
- The report notes that Assam is the only state out of the 29 states and 2 UTs, which has published a Citizens Budget in the public domain.
- Also, the government of Assam is the only government that has conducted budget awareness campaigns across 17 districts.
Transparency International is an international non-governmental organization based in Berlin, Germany. Founded in 1993 by a group of individuals who decided to take up a stance against corruption, today from villages in rural India to the corridors of power in Brussels, Transparency International gives voice to the victims and witnesses of corruption. The Corruption Perception Index of Transparency International is the most widely used indicator of corruption worldwide.
Tags: Andhra Pradesh [APPSC] • Assam • Budget • budgetary process • Corruption Perception Index
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) had launched Swasth Bharat Yatra to amplify its Eat Right India initiative. Swasth Bharat Yatra was a 100-day consumer outreach programme.
The Yatra saw the participation of around 2.5 crore people across various States and UTs. It also led to the creation of 21,000 local ‘Eat Right Champions’ who would sustain this movement in the future.
Awards for Exemplary participation
The following states were awarded for their Exemplary participation:
- Best State Overall: Tamil Nadu
- Best States with a population above 3 crore: Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- Best States having a population less than 3 crore: Punjab, Goa and Delhi
- Special awards: Meghalaya, Jammu and Kashmir and Uttrakhand were given special awards for their participation despite their hilly and difficult terrain.
Eat Right Start-Up Awards were also be given for innovative food products, food services, food testing and community outreach and engagement at the ceremony.
Tags: Delhi • Eat Right Champions • Eat Right India initiative • Food Safety and Standards Authority of India • FSSAI