Quality of Living index Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Quality of Living Index 2019 was released by the Consulting Agency Mercer. The index was based on the data analysed between September and November 2018. The index ranks 231 cities.
Quality of Living Index 2019
- Austrian capital Vienna tops the Mercer’s index of most liveable cities for the 10th year in a row.
- Vienna was closely followed by Zurich in Switzerland. Auckland, Munich, and Vancouver came in joint third.
- San Francisco with the ranking of 34 was named the best city to live in in the U.S.
- London with a ranking of 41st was the best city in the UK on Mercer’s scale.
- Singapore with a ranking of 25th has held onto its status as Asia’s most livable city.
- Uruguay’s capital Montevideo was the highest ranked city in South America.
- Port Louis, Mauritius, was Africa’s top city.
- Baghdad ranked last, followed by Bangui in the Central African Republic and Yemen’s capital Sanaa.
Indian Cities in the List
- Hyderabad and Pune topped the list among the Indian cities with a rank of 143.
- Bengaluru was the second best with the ranking of 149.
- Mumbai with the ranking of 154 stood third among Indian cities.
- The capital of India, New Delhi ranked at 162 in Mercer’s Quality Of Living Index.
The index is based on 39 factors such as access to public transport and traffic congestion levels, availability of housing and international schools city’s cultural scene which are grouped under 10 heads like “political and social environment”, “recreation”.
Tags: Africa • Asia • Austria • Baghdad • Bangui
According to Mercer’s Quality of Living index rankings 2017, for the third consecutive time, Hyderabad (Telangana) has emerged as the best Indian city in terms of quality of living.
Globally, Vienna (Austria) for the fourth time in a row has emerged as world’s best city for overall quality of living for the eighth year running.
- In this edition of rankings, 8 European cities are in the top ten list: Vienna (1), Zurich (2) Munich (4), Dusseldorf (6), Frankfurt (7), Geneva (8), Copenhagen (9) and Basel (10).
- The only non-European cities in the top ten are Auckland (3) and Vancouver (5). The highest ranking cities in Asia and Latin America are Singapore (25) and Montevideo (79), respectively.
- Both Hyderabad and Pune ranked higher 145 and 146, respectively than the country’s traditional business centres Mumbai and New Delhi, which were ranked at 154 and 161, respectively.
- In terms of city infrastructure rankings, Singapore has topped the list followed by Frankfurt and Munich both in 2nd place. Baghdad (230) and Port au Prince (231) ranked at the bottom for city infrastructure.
- Amongst Indian cities, Mumbai is ranked the highest at 141, followed by Kolkata (149) and Pune (151) in city infrastructure rankings. Bangalore was rated the lowest (177) by the report.
Mercer, head-quartered in New York, is a global human resources consulting firm. Its survey, covering over 230 cities across the globe, is conducted annually to enable MNCs and other employers compensate its employees fairly, while sending them on international assignments. Its city infrastructure ranking that assesses each city’s supply of drinking water, electricity, public transportation and telephone and mail services as well as traffic congestion and the range of international flights available from local airports.