Radha Kumar Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian academician Radha Kumar was appointed as United Nation’s University Council along with other 11 people by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
They will serve for terms of either three or six years and shall formulate its principles and policies, consider and approve biennial budget and work programme.
About Radha Kumar
- Prior to this appointment she was serving as the Director General of New Delhi-based think tank Delhi Policy Group. She is a specialist in peacemaking, ethnic conflicts and peace-building.
- She is former Director of the Mandela Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies at Jamia Millia Islamia University.
- She also has served as the Senior Fellow in Peace and Conflict Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations in the city.
- She had also served as one of the three-member Group of Interlocutors appointed by the Union Government for Jammu and Kashmir.
About UN University Council
- UN University Council’s main function is to formulate the principles and policies of the University.
- It also seeks to govern its operations and consider and approve its biennial budget and work programme.
- Appointed members of the Council serve in their individual capacity and not as representatives of their country’s government.
- They are selected with the aim of achieving a geographic and gender balance, with due regard for major academic, scientific, educational and cultural trends, as well as each member’s fields of expertise.