Professor Raghavendra Gadagkar has been conferred with highest civilian award of Germany, Cross of Order of the Merit.
He was bestowed with this award in recognition of his work in strengthening Indo-German research co-operation in the field of behavioural ecology and sociobiology.
About Raghavendra Gadagkar
- Gadagkar is currently serving as a professor at the Centre for Ecological Sciences at Bengaluru based Indian Institute of Science (IISc). Currently, he is also serving as the President on the Indian National Science Academy (INSA).
- He has published 2 scientific books and over 275 scientific articles and papers in various international journals as well as in Indian journals.
- He is among the founding Chairperson of the Centre for Contemporary Studies which was established at IISc in 2004.
- In 2012, he was elected as a member of the German National Academy of Sciences (GNAS) Leopoldina.
Awards: He is recipient of Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in Biology (1993).
About Cross of Order of the Merit
- Established in 1951 by the first President of the Federal Republic of Germany Theodor Heuss.
- It is highest civilian award of Germany awarded to Germans as well as to foreigners.
- It recognizes person for their outstanding achievements in the fields of political, cultural, economy, intellectual and volunteering.