Rajya Sabha Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On October 29, 2019, Vice President Venkaiah Naidu unveiled a 15-point reform charter for a new political normal to enable effective functioning of the Parliament and State Legislatures.
- The pre and post Legislative Impact should be assessed
- The functioning of Department related Standing Committees of Parliament should be ensured through longer tenures instead of reconstitution every year as at present. The recommendations to the committee should be based on academic backgrounds.
- The minimum number of sittings for both the Parliament and State Legislatures per year should be approximately prescribed
- The law makers should abide by the rules of the house. The political parties should take responsibility be enforcing a code of conduct
- Rules should be framed that take automatic effect against erring members in case of interruptions and disruptions
- The political parties should ensure at least 50% attendance of the members of legislatures everyday to address the issues of lack of quorum
- The secretariats of legislatures should publish regular reports on the attendance of members during the proceedings.
- The functioning of anti-defection law and whip system should be reviewed
Tags: 17th Lok Sabha • Parliament House • Parliament of India • Parliamentary Committees • Rajya Sabha
Rajya Sabha has passed National Institute of Design (Amendment) Bill, 2019. Now it has to be passed by Lok Sabha. The Bill seeks to amend National Institute of Design Act, 2014, which declares National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad as an institution of national importance.
National Institute of Design (Amendment) Bill, 2019
It seeks to declare four National Institutes of Design (NID) in Andhra Pradesh (Amaravati), Assam (Jorhat), Madhya Pradesh (Bhopal) and Haryana (Kurukshetra) as institutions of national importance.
Currently, these institutes are registered as Societies under Societies Registration Act, 1860 and do not have power to grant degrees or diplomas. Once these four institutions are declared of national importance, they will be granted the power to grant degrees and diplomas.
Significance of National Importance Tag
It will help to produce highly skilled manpower in design sector which in turn, will create job opportunities, both direct and indirect. It will also provide sustainable design interventions for handloom, crafts, rural technology, small, medium (SMEs) and large scale enterprises (LSEs); and outreach programmes for capacity, capability and institution building.