Rakesh Asthana Current Affairs
The Union Government has given senior IPS officer Rakesh Asthana additional charge of the post of Director, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
He took charge following retirement of Anil Sinha. He was given this charge after government failed to find any full-time Director for CBI. This is the first time in last 10 years and only the second time in the CBI’s history that no new Director has been named to succeed an incumbent.
About Rakesh Asthana
- Rakesh Asthana is 1984 batch IPS officer of Gujarat Cadre. Prior to this appointment he was serving as additional director in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- He had held several important assignments in Gujarat. He has also served as the commissioner of police, Vadodara and Surat.
- He had headed the special investigation team (SIT), which probed the Godhra train arson of February 2002.
About Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)
- CBI is the foremost investigative police agency in India. It derives power to investigate from the Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, 1946
- It was established in 1941 as the Special Police Establishment. It was renamed to present nomenclature in 1963.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Motto: Industry, Impartiality, Integrity.
- It is headed by Director, an IPS officer of DGP rank. He is selected as per the provisions of Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) Act, 2003
- The CBI Director is selected by a collegium comprising Prime Minister, Chief Justice of India and Leader of Opposition or leader of the largest party in opposition in Lok Sabha.